Over the last few years, I think I’ve trained my boyfriend pretty well to help out with my photos. I don’t like to ask him all the time, and trust me, there have been a lot of biccars, arguments, tears and tantrums with this but I think we’ve come a long way with it and he does pretty well now! My mum often helps me out with photos and she’s so happy to help me, she doesn’t complain and we never argue about it, but we all know what these men can be like 😉
Unfortunately it’s not as simple as..
‘Please take my photo’
‘Yay, thanks babe for taking 1 photo, it’s perfect’
Nope, it never happens like that! Here’s how I’ve trained my boyfriend…
6 tips on how to teach your boyfriend to be your photographer
- Start the day off right. no bickers, no empty bellies. Honestly, sounds ridiculous but there is no way of getting my boyfriend to take photo’s if he’s annoyed/hungry/cold/needs a wee etc. Make him comfortable and in a happy mood, its like dealing with a toddler haha.
2. Set the shot up for him / frame it and take a photo of him in the shot of how you want it.
3. Always do a test shot and keep checking the pics as he is taking them so you can change position/location if its not working.
4. Show him similar but realistic images that you are trying to create if he’s really struggling with the angles.
5. Remember the power of editing. As long as you’re happy with the composition, and what you look like; the light etc can be brightened etc (my favourite editing apps for photos are VSCO, Snapseed and Lightroom)
6. Try to make it easy for him. It’s so much easier and less error on the phone rather than trying to get him to shoot on a camera unless its literally point and zoom. I often find non of my photos are in focus if we use my camera, I always use my iPhone when shooting with him!
Sounds simple but give it a go! Let me know how it goes…good luck!