I’m a natural blonde but I’ve bleached the life out of my hair over the years all because I want to be a blonde-bombshell.
When I was 14, I started working in a hair salon, so I started to colour my hair quite early on as I was surrounded by different hair options!
I’ve spoken about my hair disasters before, but the worst one and the one I’ll never forget it is when I bleached by hair, left it on for way too long and when washing the bleach out, pretty much 50% of my hair went down the plug hole with the bleach dregs. I had ruined my hair! That was a good 10 years ago, and I’ve learnt my lesson and I try to look after my hair as best as I can now!
I still have my hair bleached but in a much safer, more controlled way! I actually feel like I can pass on my advise for looking after blonde hair, or any coloured hair actually, the same rules still apply!
Ok let’s talk hair…
My 7 tips…
- Give it as much time in between colours as you can. That feeling of freshly coloured blonde hair with not a root in sight, I love it. I wish it lasted forever! But we all know that every time you colour your hair, it does damage it. I try and wait as long as I can before I have my hair coloured again. I usually have mine done every 12 weeks, so around 4 times a year. I use a purple shampoo as a toner and this really saves my life in-between colours! Try and colour it as less as you can, try and use toners/coloured shampoos/coloured dry shampoo’s to keep you going instead of re-bleaching/colouring frequently.
- Heat protection! Maybe the most important point! Heat can seriously damage your hair, if you are using a hair dryer, straighteners, tongs, any heat appliance, you MUST use a heat protector! I use a serum on my wet hair which has a heat protector in, then once my hair is dry, I use an aerosol dry heat protector spray for when I’m styling my hair. If you aren’t using a heat protector, you’re literally killing your hair! Look after it and protect it from the heat!
- Once a week, use a mask or treatment. If you have 15 mins, try this… Wash your hair, towel dry, apply your hair mask, put a plastic bag on your hair and tie in a knot around your hairline to secure. Then put a towel over the bag. Sounds crazy, but when your hair is warm, the cuticle opens up, it can soak in more and give your hair a deeper intensive treatment! The towel on top of the plastic bag just warms it all up, the plastic keeps in the heat too! Your hair will love you for it! Try it, and let me know how you get on!
- Buy good quality shampoo and conditioners. Cheap and bad quality shampoo and conditioners are full of bad quality silicone which just coats your hair and this just builds up and up! You want these to really cleanse and protect your hair. Have a look around, my favourite brands of shampoo and conditioner are Paul Mitchell, Aveda, Redken, Pureology and TIGI.
- Be best friends with dry shampoo. I try and only wash my hair 3 times a week and use dry shampoo, baby powder in between! The more I wash my hair, I end up using more heat etc, so i try and leave it alone as much as possible!
- Have it cut regularly. A cut always brings hair back to life and makes it look a lot fresher! I always just have a 1 length cut, no layers or any fancy stuff like that, I think this just makes it feel fuller and thicker!
- Don’t buy a box colour from the supermarket. I know it can be expensive, but have it done professionally. Me and my best friend used to do each other’s hair at home and we had so many disasters. I still have my hair done at home, but a professional who comes to my house! You could potentially completely mess it up at home, damage it or have a disaster! Leave it to the professionals!
My favourite hair products…